Operational Manager Import
To oversee the smooth running of the Sea Logistic Import and/or Export department; to maintain and develop existing customer relationships; actively promote new business; adhering to relevant company operating, financial and QSHE procedures. As a senior member of the Branch management team, contributing to the overall effectiveness, development, management and profitability of the Branch.
Your tasks and responsibilities
- Producing monthly, quarterly and ad-hoc reports, as required by national / branch management, including financial, service, operational and productivity KPIs.
- Ensuring adequate operational coverage is maintained at all times, through the management of responsibilities and staff holidays.
- Ensuring timely processing of invoices/costs in line with Internal financial controlling regulations.
- Ensuring strict adherence by the departmental team to company Forwarding Sub Ledger (FSL) procedures.
- Routinely monitoring profitability by customer and addressing loss making clients / routes promptly.
- Maximising departmental and customer profitability at all times.
- Regularly reviewing customer operating procedures and supply chain dynamics and proposing new / more efficient / more cost effecting solutions where appropriate.
- Ensuring the implementation of new business is managed successfully, and that sales staff deliver workable solutions and pricing structures.
- Providing information to central sales, to assist in the completion of tenders/business proposals.
- Entertaining/visiting clients, where applicable, which may involve unsociable hours and travel outside office hours in Belgium/Luxembourg.
- Active involvement with major accounts for the branch in conjunction with both Regional/National management and local sales.
- Working with local and national sales to produce competitive pricing and compelling operational solutions for all new business opportunities.
- Ensuring the maintenance of the highest standards of customer care, by ensuring that existing customers are serviced professionally by operations and sales staff.
- Actively encouraging the training, personal and career development of the departmental team, through the annual PPR process and regular review of industry training and certification regulations.
- Developing, implementing and monitoring action plans as required in response to the annual Employee Engagement Survey.
- Maintaining discipline within the department, in line with company policies and procedures.
- Recognising and resolving day to day operational problems in conjunction with Operations/Sales staff.
- Ensuring that strict Credit Control guidelines are adhered to by all staff.
- Control of salaries, overtime and all other departmental costs, in line with agreed targets.
- Attending monthly management meetings as requested by Anr NS, holding monthly team meetings.
- Ensuring staff are kept informed of company, industry and branch news.
- Actively reviewing operational procedures, identifying opportunities for improvement, and promoting continuous improvement within the team.
- Management of the departmental team through the job-holder’s direct reports.
- Support the compliance of rules and procedures within the team.
- Support the data quality in accordance with guidelines.
- Work in accordance with KN BE QSHE rules and procedures.
- Work in accordance with existing SOP's and WI's.
- Support the creating of SOP's and WI's.
- Work in accordance with KN Compass and KN Code of Conduct.
Your skills and experience
- Master or equal by experience.
- Excellent knowledge of Sea freight operational procedures.
- High degree of organisational, administrative and communication skills and the ability to work on own initiative and to deliver agreed actions on time.
- Good team player, with the ability to monitor and motivate the staff.
- Excellent knowledge of Ciel / Sealog
- Excellent knowledge of Quotation Tool and Business Objects.
- Advanced knowledge of KN Login and KN Rates
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office: IE, Outlook Excel and Word.
- Advanced knowledge of Acon
- Basic knowledge of KN Login OMS
- Advanced knowledge Dutch: spoken and written
- Advanced knowledge of English: spoken and written
- Advanced knowledge of French: spoken and written
Good reasons to join
We offer a position within a fast developing Contract Logistics environment with a competitive salary and opportunities for further development within the Kuehne + Nagel Group.
Please apply directly online.
About Kuehne + Nagel
With over 76,000 employees at some 1,300 locations in over 100 countries, the Kuehne + Nagel Group is one of the world’s leading logistics companies. Its strong market position lies in the seafreight, airfreight, contract logistics and overland businesses, with a clear focus on providing IT-based integrated logistics solutions. Further information can be found at www.kuehne-nagel.com